31 August 2007

Mmmm, the thrill of the birthday cake

My birthday is this weekend and I am looking forward to a few things:

1. Playing with my presents from my fiance
2. Taking advantage of "my day" and being a sass-pot
3. Giving myself a present I have been looking forward to
4. Cake, cake, cake, and cake :)


I usually don't do birthday cake but this year is different. I need all the excuses I can get to practice on a wedding cake layer.

The cake issue is funny/sad if you know me. Almost two years ago I was diagnosed with a sugar cane allergy. That means sugar and sugar cane products. This allergy really sucks! I have to be careful of what I eat when I don't make food myself and I don't get to eat a lot of sweets. I think the idea of not having a wedding cake is one of the saddest prospects that came in my head after I became engaged. I have been going over various plans on how to deal with this while being down in Costa Rica for the wedding. Ideally I want a "normal" wedding cake. I think I am going to go for it and try to make a cake layer myself that I can eat. So this weekend will be my first trial and I am starting off high-end.

White velvet cake with a raspberry whipped cream filling and lemon filling.

Wish me luck.


Here is the recipe I am going to try to adapt with agave nectar and/or crystalline fructose.

White Velvet Cake

1 1/2 cups butter, softened

1 1/2 cups white sugar

2 eggs

1 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter flavored shortening

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese

4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar

1 tablespoon milk

Instructions:

  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 round 8 inch pans. Sift the flour and salt together and set aside.
  • Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and mix well. *Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk. Alternately add flour and buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour. Pour into two 8-inch pans.
  • Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for about 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Cool cake completely before icing.
  • To make the White Velvet Cream Cheese Icing: Beat shortening and cream cheese together. Gradually beat in confectioners sugar. Add milk until a frosting is formed. (Add more milk if necessary.)
I found it on the lovetoknow website.

1 comment:

janineb said...

oh my gosh! I had no idea it was your birthday this weekend. Bad janine! Happy birthday dear Kia, I hope Terry spoiled you rotten!